I LOVE these so much, they’ve become my speciality too.
Here is an updated recipe. Less sugar, more healthy, whilst still delicious.
Altogether the duration including waiting for flour to rise can take up to 4 hours.
Ingredients for dough:
- 2 cups almond milk (room temperate) (480 ml)
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup Sugar (ensure vegan friendly)
- 1 packet of Yeast
- Self-rising Flour (read below)
Mix the above ingredients together in a bowl, then let it sit for 5 whole minutes for the ingredients to combine and mix well.
Next, add 5 cups of flour (690g) to this mix and 1 teaspoon of salt. Then mix!
Once it has all formed together as one whole, whether you need to add more milk or flour.
Cover it with a towel and place in a warm place as best as you can to allow it to have the best chance of rising as high as it possibly can.
During this hour wait, prepare your filling:
- ¾ cup coconut oil (170 g)
- ¾ cup brown sugar (165 g)
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
Then once its rolled up slice it in the middle, then in the middle’s middle and so on until you have your 10-20 slices.
Roll each slice to the side, put in container or oven tray, put cling film over it and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Then they are ready for the oven!
Bake them for 350 F or 180 C for 25-30 minutes, you will know by the colour of them when they are ready or if they need more time depending on your oven type.
Now! Towards the end of them cooking, if you would like to make some icing:
- 1 cup of powdered sugar [half cup of granulated sugar, half cup of corn starch, blend it together until smooth kind of texture]
- 2 tbs of almond milk
- 1/2 ts of vanilla extract
Mix with a fork
And add on top of your rolls when they are ready.
Viola! I did use the icing method but they are delicious whether you choose to make them with or without !
Hope you enjoy!